The 2 hour show became an elaborate preview of the Circles of Sleep show at the Western Front this upcoming weekend. This is a collection of droning lullabies, extracted from a broad range of genres, starting with Sound Art (Gordon Monahan) and moving through Soundscape Composition (Hildegard Westerkamp), Minimal Electronica (Dalot), Post Rock (Miracle Fortress, Braids), Pop-Rock (Múm, Miracle Fortress) and Vocal Studies ( Julianna Barwick, Spell).
I also included a 35min experiment, from a personal project called Normal Core, this track is an exploration the range of expression found in 2 oscillators and 3 filters, the results range from drone to a reductive proto-techo. While this is an exhaustive exploration, listeners may also find it exhausting. I find the redeeming factors are a/ the smooth transitions between such a variety of expression in such a simple setup, and b/ the quality of “brain tease” (see Maryanne Amacher, or Hecker – “Acid In The Style Of David Tudor” for profound explorations of these forces) found in these analogue wave forms.
- excerpt from Speaker Swinging – Gordon Monahan – Imaginary Landscapes – 1989
- Breathing Room – Hildegard Westerkamp – Electro Clips – 2000
- Cause and Effect – Dalot – Minutesstatic – 2011
- Sleep/Swim – Múm – Finally We Are No One – 2002
- Lullaby For Those Too Scared To Sleep – Désormais – Iambrokenandremadeiambroken… – 2003
- The Magic Place – Julianna Barwick – The Magic Place – 2011
- Before – Miracle Fortress – Was I the Wave – 2011
- Awe – Miracle Fortress – Was I the Wave – 2011
- Lammicken – Braids – Native Speaker – 2011
- Chime 2 – Scars and Scarves – Chimes at Midnight – 2011
- Story Of A City – Dalot – Loop Over Latitudes – 2010
- Fading Away – Spell – Hex – 2011
- Opening – Normal Core – unreleased
- Lemonade – Braids – Native Speaker – 2011